Friday, August 2, 2013

Melting Mustangs & Other News

Lots of news today...

Cincinnati recently passed tougher laws for the carriage horse industry in that city, in what seems to be a growing trend in the USA. I'm very, very glad this horse welfare issue is getting so much attention... I do wish people would stop with the insane rhetoric though. More on that issue in another post. Next up, more Facebook drama:


A reader sent me this screenshot of a post in a Facebook group called Horse Debate Central, and it pisses me off a little. Are there plenty of shady, even neglectful "horse rescues" out there? Sure. But using cheaper tack doesn't make a rescue a bad one! Also, why would you put a very expensive saddle on a horse you are training? What if the horse chews on it, flips out and breaks it, or God forbid, gets it dirty?! Good quality is important, but appearances are not, and there is no reason to expect a horse rescue to spend money on fancy saddles instead of helping more horses. John has a point about how rescues shouldn't use ill-fitting tack, but otherwise he's just being a prick here. "I put a $3,000 saddle on every horse I ride," well good for you, asshole, but many of us can't have that... or choose to spend our money on charity instead. "If the horse isn't worth the best I have to offer, it should go to France." So your implication is, only expensive show horses are worthy of being saved from slaughter? STFU.

On to more news...

The Wisconsin Wildcat horse trails get some emergency horse rescue gear thanks to generous donors.


Iowa is pushing to be the first to restart horse slaughter in the USA.


 While some plot to slaughter all the extra horses in America, other Americans are successfully bringing back an ancient breed. Przewalski’s horses are cool and all, but couldn't we have spent 7 years of work and millions of dollars on existing horses? Like maybe the thousands of mustangs currently sweltering in 100+ degree temperatures, without shade, in BLM holding corrals?


Mustangs have died of heat stress this summer and every summer, and many more suffer every year. As usual, those in charge are just walking around with their thumbs up their asses: "...federal land managers plan to hold a public workshop to solicit ideas on how to protect wild horses from excessive heat at a major holding facility near Reno."

"Bureau of Land Management officials said they’re also consulting with two experts... No date for the workshop has been set yet, but BLM officials said it’ll be held in coming weeks."

WHAT. THE. HELL. You want to wait a few weeks to "hold a workshop" to "solicit ideas?!" You're "consulting with two experts" that probably cost thousands of dollars?!

LET ME GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE:
  • BUILD SHELTERS.
  • PUT OUT SPRINKLERS.
  • STRING UP SOME TARPS.
  • PLANT SOME TREES.
THERE! MY CONSULTING FEE IS ZERO FUCKING DOLLARS! NOW GET OFF OF YOUR STUPID ASSES AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!

This is why we shouldn't have mustangs. I'm sorry, but if our government is too dumb, and our taxpayers too cheap to actually do things the right way, mustangs should just be slowly eliminated from the range and the holding corrals. Adopt 'em out, sterilize 'em, round 'em up. These "symbols of freedom" are suffering in hot, bleak environments so we can all hug ourselves with pride over our "protection" of these horses and pretend they are living wonderful lives. The American government, and thus the American taxpayer, is the single worst horse neglecting asshole in the world.

OK, that was depressing. I need some happier stuff now... let's move on to a reader's horse and former horse for some feel-good vibes:

Daisy Boo says,

"Hi, I enjoying reading your blog, I enjoy reading about America horses as in New Zealand we have mostly TB's. There has been a lot more crossing of the draught with TB to get more versatile riding horses."


"Bobbie socks was my soulmate horse, trustworthy and beautiful, I brought him over to New Zealand from Australia when my grandma got sick. He was my $500 dollar horse taking a $4000 plane ride, and he was worth every cent. Bobbie was put down last year after over 20 years together, I miss him everyday."

"After years of having a pasture puff, I finally brought a horse that I could ride again, her name is Rosie, aka Baby Rocket Doll. She has big hooves to fill, and doesn't have the charm of my Bobbie socks, but she's a good reliable ride and doesn't spook at all. I would kiss the dirt riding Bobbie over a piece of grass moving, so it's nice to to have a chunky girl with a big heart."


What a wonderful story Daisy Boo, thanks for sharing!

I encourage all of you readers to send me stories and pictures you would like to have shared! Send 'em to northhorseblog@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great post, its nice to see my lovely Bobbie Socks here.
    Because you know, it's not easy doing the right thing sometimes. I gave up years of riding for Bobbie's retirement. Would I change it....NEVER I couldn't afford two horses, so I had to wait 10 years to give Bobbie the retirement that he deserved. It's a commitment for the rest of your horse's life. And if you can't make that commitment to provide your horse retirement, don't buy or breed anything. The racing industry provides us over here with more than enough workable horses that we don't need to be breeding more. My Rosie has had three foals, I don't know why anyone would want to breed from her. Thank you for sharing my pictures. Claire aka Daisy Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your horses are lovely. Yes, always keep your personal riding horses. I know there are a lot of things that can happen, and there are a few homes out there looking for an older safe horse. But not many. I see so many CL entries looking for a retirement home for old charley. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my experience that a well cared for horse can work well into their 20's and even their 30's. If I were in the market for a first horse (only leasing right now) I wouldn't hesitate to look at or even buy a healthy 20 year old. I mean look at my girl, 24 and she's running circles around the younguns out here. I learned to ride on a horse that is 28 and only recently retired because of an injury. She's still got tons of spark left in her and was attacking jumps with everything she had before her retirement. At our barn if a horse dies of old age, we've yet to have one go younger than 30. I hate to see older horses ruled out simply for their age. A good old horse can be the best teacher and babysitter if needed. I've learned more in the last year from my girl than I have in my last 5 years of riding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the mustangs...I guess commen sense is not that commen anymore!
    And the $3000 saddle guy? What an arrogant dink. I have sat on Olympic (not Olimpic) horses, and Pan Am Games horses....and have yet to own a $3000 HORSE myself, never mind saddle. What a pompous idiot :-P

    ReplyDelete