Wednesday, March 13, 2013

So NOT Inspirational!

So while I'm browsing Facebook, Google+, Reddit, whatever, I frequently run across those sappy motivational poster type things. They almost always involve sunsets or nature scenes, a quote written in fancy script, and sometimes an adorable child and/or animal. You know the ones I mean:



Yep, like that, only add more pink sappy glittery stuff. And I although I don't really care for pre-packaged, plastic-wrapped sentiments (especially when they're posted by people who spend more time sharing them than actually doing good) they're okay I guess.

BUT. Apparently horse people have now joined this fad, and the results can be frightening. Let's take a look at some of the stuff being shared out there, shall we?



Okay, aside from the hideous amount of flashing colored sparkling pretty things designed to appeal to hyperactive 12 year old girls, that wasn't so bad... next!


Wait, what? This is terrible riding advice. You wouldn't tell someone to "let the car steer" would you? No. But, uh, I guess it sort of makes like a spiritual, touchy-feely sense? Why are horse people even sharing this?! This quote is actually from a self-help guru from the 70s, and had nothing to do with real horses.




Ooookaaay, this is giving me a "stalker" vibe rather than a horse-lover's vibe, but whatever...




NO. Rearing is not an acceptable or "fun" behavior. You get off, lunge the horse until he's listening to you, put the horse away, and consider calling a trainer about the rearing problem.




Aaaghhhh! NOT inspirational!! WHY is a tiny child, wearing NO helmet, on a pony with no saddle or reins, next to a giant horse, and NONE of them is being held by an adult?! This is almost certainly Photoshopped, but still, this is not inspirational, this is dangerous bullshit!




OH MY FUCKING JESUS. THIS HAD BETTER BE PHOTOSHOPPED. 

IF, UPON SEEING A SMALL CHILD DANGLING FROM THE HEAD OF AN UNRESTRAINED 1,000 POUND ANIMAL, YOUR FIRST INSTINCT IS TO TAKE A PHOTO, YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED IN A SMALL KENNEL WITH A RABID BADGER.

...and yet, when I saw this on Facebook, the picture had many "likes" and there were lots of comments like, "how precious!"

Yeah, apparently life-threatening situations and child endangerment are now "precious." Great.

SUPER precious!


Now here's what I think a motivational poster should look like:



1 comment:

  1. Well... I like the last one at least... I've used that before when someone was trying to be intimidating.
    "My response to getting kicked or bit by a thousand pound animal is to yell "NO!!!! We do NOT do that! Followed by a much deserved swat on the shoulder. Trust me, you are not scary."
    Poor Arab, his head's got to be uncomfortable carrying that imp. Err, I mean poor child..... yeah. That one..... .... ....

    ReplyDelete